Re: st: Using foreach and forval to append data files

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using foreach and forval to append data files
Date   Tue, 26 Mar 2013 16:35:52 +0000

This can be simplified. First, -fs- from SSC is a convenient wrapper
for the -dir- stuff Tony uses.

Some variation on

clear
fs *.dta
append using `r(files)'

should be sufficient. Clearly your wildcard might differ from *.dta.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Li Chuntao (Tony) <[email protected]> wrote:

> My Suggestion is use macro functions to save the list of files into a
> local macro
>
> sample code as following:
>
> clear
>
> cd  filepath
>
> local i: dir . file *
>
> tokenize `"`i'"'
>

> use `1', clear
> local j=2
>
> while `"``j''"'~="" {
> append using  ``j''
>  local j = `j'+1
>   }
>

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Tim Evans <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Maarten,
>>
>> Thanks for this - very nice! Worked a treat.
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Tim

>>> 1_2_results.dta
>>> 1_8_results.dta