RE: Re: st: Clogit does not converge (Stata returns “not concave” for every iteration) – possible dummy variable problem in a DCE

From   James Buchanan <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Re: st: Clogit does not converge (Stata returns “not concave” for every iteration) – possible dummy variable problem in a DCE
Date   Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:51:10 +0000

Many thanks to both yourself and JVerkuilen for your comments. I've now increased the sample size to 504 patients (8064 choices) and the problem persists so I am ruling out sample size being an issue.

- I'm unclear as to what it means to have an unidentified model?
- Are the variables you added constant within the options? Each patient makes 16 choices and each choice is between two options. Each patient gets exactly the same 16 choices. I think this means that the answer to your question is "Yes".
- My choice sets have been derived from an efficient design. The actual choices are simulated - each patient makes a totally random choice between each choice pair. I don't think it's a particularly complex simulation? Regardless, I've tried many different combinations of random choices yet the problem persists.
- I've tried using factor variable notation but this makes no difference
- I've tried using the -difficult- option but this makes no difference
- I've downloaded the mixed logit function but I am unclear as to which variables should have fixed coefficients and which should be random - is there a process by which I should be making this decision?

Thank you again.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Richard Williams
Sent: 22 March 2013 01:34
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Re: st: Clogit does not converge (Stata returns “not concave” for every iteration) – possible dummy variable problem in a DCE

This sounds like an incredibly complicated simulation. Are you sure that you did it right? When I can't get models to converge it is usually because of problems with the data or with the model. I would run various descriptive statistics on the data. If you are convinced you are doing things right, try a different random seed for the simulation.

Sometimes adding the -difficult- option works miracles.

Also, I would use factor variable notation rather than create my own dummies. Partly because it is easier, but also because it gives you an additional error check, e.g. you'll know to be suspicious if you get
573 dummy variables when you were expecting 3.

Sent from my iPad