st: Re: use a Stata package like moremata via adopath?

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   Arie ten Cate <>
Subject   st: Re: use a Stata package like moremata via adopath?
Date   Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:16:35 +0000

Your problem is not one of access to the routine, but in calling it. Mata functions must be called as functions, not like Stata commands. Remember, everything in Mata is a function (or a directive).

. mata:mm_collapse
                 <istmt>:  3499  mm_collapse not found

. mata:mm_collapse()
           mm_collapse():  3001  expected 3 to 14 arguments but received 0
                 <istmt>:     -  function returned error

I have moremata installed, and can reproduce your error message. But if I call mm_collapse as a function, it clearly knows that it is available.

Generally, as long as you place materials on the adopath, they are accessible. My BC econometrics students use Stata on a Citrix server, and cannot install items on that server, but they can use -ssc install- to install items in one of their own directories, which is PLUS on their adopath.

On Mar 22, 2013, at 10:04 AM, Arie ten Cate <>

> Dear Christopher,
> Is it possible to run packages like moremata (required for GSAMPLE) when running Stata over a network, without write access to the software on the server?
> I stored all unzipped files from in my adopath, but this seems not to work.
> I tested this with the command:     mata: mm_collapse
> This gave:   <istmt>:  3499  mm_collapse not found
> Thanks for any reply,
>    Arie ten Cate
> Dit bericht kan informatie bevatten die niet voor u is bestemd. Indien u niet de geadresseerde bent of dit bericht abusievelijk aan u is toegezonden, wordt u verzocht dat aan de afzender te melden en het bericht te verwijderen. De Staat aanvaardt geen aansprakelijkheid voor schade, van welke aard ook, die verband houdt met risico's verbonden aan het elektronisch verzenden van berichten.
> This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are not the addressee or if this message was sent to you by mistake, you are requested to inform the sender and delete the message. The State accepts no liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent in the electronic transmission of messages.

                             An Introduction to Stata Programming  |