Re: st: identify unique string values within lists of elements over chosen time windows

From   Denisa Mindruta <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: identify unique string values within lists of elements over chosen time windows
Date   Fri, 22 Mar 2013 04:46:40 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Nick- this has been a very helpful conversation ! For anyone else
potentially interested in this posting.

Another solution proposed by Dimitriy on stackoverflow was to use:
collapse (sum) new=n, by(obs year)  after creating the indicator counting the
first occurrence of a string value. But Dimitriy's solution requires the
additional step of  merging the new variable back into the original dataset....
I also asked Nick whether reshaping is the most "efficient" way of approaching
the issue and here is what he said. I quote Nick:

"(MORE) Further comments focused largely on efficiency, meaning here speed
rather than space. (Storage space could be biting the poster.)

Without a restructure, here using reshape, the problem  is a triple loop: over
identifiers, over observations for each  identifier and over variables. Possibly
the two outer loops can be  collapsed to one. But an explicit loop over
observations is usually slow  in Stata.

With the restructuring solutions proposed by Dimitriy and myself, by: operations
go straight to compiled code and are relatively fast: reshape is interpreted
code and entails file manipulations, so can be slow. On the other hand reshape
can be fast to write down with some experience, and it really is worth acquiring
the fluency with reshape which comes with experience. In addition to the help
for reshape and the manual entry, see the FAQ on reshape I wrote on

www.stata.com.

Another consideration is what else you want to do with this kind of  dataset. If
there are going to be other problems of similar character,  they will usually be
easier with a long structure as produced by reshape, so keeping that structure
will be a good idea."