Re: st: mata programming - input type

From   Tomáš Houška <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mata programming - input type
Date   Thu, 21 Mar 2013 19:53:39 +0100

Hello Nick,

thank you for your help. I have been surprised by your answer as I
have met several discussions on Statalist talking about how Mata
cannot be processed within Stata loop. I have tried your proposal but
I am running into a problem comparable to the problem described in the
above mentioned discussions.

Even in a very trivial example, in which I just want to list the macro
carried over from Stata to Mata:

levelsof time_period, local(period_id)

foreach period of local period_id {

	mata
	mata_period = st_local("period")
	mata_period
        end
}

... I get an error "-Break-  r(1); " and the values of mata_period are
not shown. I expect this to be a comparable problem as e.g.
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-07/msg00834.html
A solution to that would be establishing a mata function (taking
"time_period" as an argument) that I will call within the stata loop,
Or am I missing something?

Thank you ,
Tomas