RE: st: ordered logistic integration problems

From   "Bontempo, Daniel E" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: ordered logistic integration problems
Date   Thu, 21 Mar 2013 18:36:48 +0000

Thanks again Richard. I did have the default wrong as far as "pl" or "npl" and it is the non-parallel models that always fail. I just got several of the gologit2 models to run using "pl" and did not have to reduce the number of categories.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Richard Williams
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:59 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: ordered logistic integration problems

At 09:28 AM 3/21/2013, Bontempo, Daniel E wrote:
>Thanks Richard. I follow about the difficulty of thresholds between
>sparse categories, or even when some categories are not at all levels
>of the IV's.
>
>I do lack insight into why "ologit" quickly picked thresholds and gave
>results, while gllamm and gologit2 seemed unable to pick thresholds. I
>am going to avoid thresholds and use the glm with
>link(logit) family(binomial) as suggested in another reply, but it
>would be great to have more insight into why ologit had no apparent
>problem and gologit2 failed - even when I used the parallel assumption,
>and they were both estimating the same model.

If anyone else is interested, -gologit2- is available from SSC. To estimate the same model, I assume you did something like

ologit y x1 x2 x3
gologit2 y x1 x2 x3, pl

If ologit ran fine and gologit2 did not, it may just be because ologit is a better written program! Or, you might try adding the
-difficult- option to gologit2.

If you didn't use the -pl- option with gologit2, then you probably were not estimating the same model.

If you can provide some syntax and output or a replicable problem I can try to see if I can figure anything out. But make sure you really were trying to estimate the exact same model. A generalized ordered logit model potentially estimates far more parameters than an ordered logit model does, which can be difficult to do if you have thin counts in a category and/or many variables.