st: Alternatives to box plots

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Alternatives to box plots
Date   Thu, 21 Mar 2013 13:24:43 +0000

A long and concurrent thread starting at

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2013-03/msg00838.html

centres on t tests and other methods applied to a problem with
obstetrics data. One of various issues raised is the merits of box
plots, including postings by David Hoaglin, Jay Verkuilen and myself.
My evaluation is that our views are much closer than may have
appeared.

I am taking this out of that thread so that the graphical issues can
be a little more easily discussed by anyone so inclined,

If box plots are oversold -- or at least (vacuously) not a panacea --
then alternatives include

-dotplot- (official)   allows annotation with mean or median

-stripplot- (SSC)   allows marginal boxes and bars; more options than -dotplot-

-devnplot- (SSC) a plot with ANOVA-like flavour showing individual
values relative to means (or any other summary of level)

-qplot- (SJ) quantiles!

Nick