Re: st: how do we jointly test coefficients from different regressions?

From   Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: how do we jointly test coefficients from different regressions?
Date   Tue, 19 Mar 2013 00:38:36 -0400

This is an example of the "stacking" approach using reshape. I don't
understand what you mean when you say you want to allow the constant,
but I contemplate it the example below.

* ----------------- Begin code ---------------------------------------
clear
version 12
* This just generates some random data. You do not need to do this.
set obs 68
set seed 135
* x variables
gen x1=rnormal()
gen x2=rnormal()
* time
gen time=_n
* 3 y variables (this could be any number of variables, i.e. 25)
glo nvar=3
* Coefficients. I am setting 0 for x1 and 1 for x2
forv i=1(1)$nvar {
glo b`i'1=0
glo b`i'2=1
}
forv i=1(1)$nvar {
gen y`i'=${b`i'1}*x1+${b`i'2}*x2
}
* Now I have a data set like yours.
* Reshape, same as stacking y into 1 vector
reshape long y, i(time) j(var)
* Add an error term for the regression. You do not need to do this.
gen e=0.1*rnormal()
replace y=y+e
* Regress the stacked y on x, different coefficients by var.
* Constant is not varying over the different y variables
* If you want to allow the constant to vary, use reg y c.(x1 x2)##i.var
reg y c.(x1 x2)#i.var
* Test coefficients on x1. Notice this can be run for any number of variables.
qui test 1.var#c.x1=0
forv i=2(1)$nvar {
qui test `i'.var#c.x1=1.var#c.x1, accum
}