Re: st: drop range of variables meeting condition in another variable

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: drop range of variables meeting condition in another variable
Date   Mon, 18 Mar 2013 20:02:23 +0000

At a guess, you want to -drop- all gene variables that are identically
zero. That is

findname gene*, all(@==0)

drop `r(varlist)'

where -findname- is to be found by -search findname- and downloaded
from the Stata Journal files.

It is not so difficult without -findname-, either.

foreach v of var gene* {
       su `v', meanonly
       if r(max) == 0 local todrop `todrop' `v'
drop `v'