Re: st: combining consecutive similar observations in time series datasets

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: combining consecutive similar observations in time series datasets
Date   Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:09:25 -0400

You don't indicate if you need to worry about gaps. If not, then this will work:

 bys id coded (start) : egen newstart=start[1]
 bys id coded (end)   : egen newend = end[_N]
 bys id coded         : keep if _n==1

Or, if you really don't have any other variables

 collapse (min) start (max) end, by(id coded)

will work.