Re: st: Prediction at the 'mean' of a categorical- xi3?

From   "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <>
Subject   Re: st: Prediction at the 'mean' of a categorical- xi3?
Date   Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:13:43 -0400

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM, David Hoaglin <> wrote:
> Andrew,
> I think of Jay's suggestion as equivalent to taking a mixture of the 6
> categories as the basis for the centering. In that mixture, the weight
> for each category would be its proportion in your data or in a
> relevant population.  Approached in that way, the contribution to the
> constant term should not be too difficult to interpret.

Yes, that's what I meant.

JVVerkuilen, PhD

"It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Do not concentrate on
the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." --Bruce Lee,
Enter the Dragon (1973)