st: robust hypothesis test for totals

From   "Dimitriy V. Masterov" <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: robust hypothesis test for totals
Date   Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:23:24 -0700

I would like to estimate a multiplicative treatment effect for a total
(rather than a mean) with a confidence interval. The outcome is very
left-skewed, with lots of zeros and a kangaroo-like tail.
Alternatively, I would like to conduct a hypothesis that the effect is

Here's an example of what I am thinking of:

sysuse auto
bs ratio = _b[Domestic]/_b[Foreign], reps(100): total price, over(foreign)

Is bootstrapping the best approach or is there something better? Can
this or some other procedure be generalized to more than two groups?