st: Prediction at the 'mean' of a categorical- xi3?

To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: Prediction at the 'mean' of a categorical- xi3?
Date   Wed, 13 Mar 2013 21:12:49 +0800

Dear Statalisters-

I am attempting to do predictions from a model which includes clinical
isolates as a predictor; these are important for good model fit, but
not useful in and of themselves. With a continuous you would likely
just set the reference to the median/mean, and predict away. Any
suggestions in how to code it so I get something similar (a population
average value) for a categorical in the presence of other covariates?

Michael Mitchell & Phil Ender's -xi3- (ssc) has lots of flexibility
and options, but I am unsure of how to implement...

thank you-

Andrew Lover
Centre for Infectious Disease Epidemiology Research (CIDER)
Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health
National University of Singapore