Re: st: Treatment of missing values in surveys in Stata (subpop)

Subject   Re: st: Treatment of missing values in surveys in Stata (subpop)
Date   Fri, 8 Mar 2013 16:04:59 -0500

Ángel:

The theory of subpopulation corrections does not apply to non-response.

A subpopulation is a subset of the population tht can be defined in
advance: (e.g. males, ages 30-40, living in rural areas). The number
selected by a sample will be random. For example, suppose a population
of N members contains a subpopulation of M members. A SRS of size n
taken. You should be able work out the exact probability that the sample
will contain exactly k members of the subpopulation. The theory of the
subpopulation correction is an extension of this, and can be found in
any good text.

In contrast, "responder" is not a characteristic, like gender, that is
known in advance. It is defined only in relation to the particular sample
design and protocol. For identical designs, better protocols can
increase response rates. Thus, sampling theory alone cannot
describe the numbers of  responders and, consequently, the
subpopulation correction is not applicable.

Steve
[email protected]