st: how to read very long text lines?

From   "Li Chuntao (Tony)" <>
Subject   st: how to read very long text lines?
Date   Fri, 8 Mar 2013 12:22:44 +0800

Dear Listers,

    I want to use Stata to read a text file line by line. Suppose the
file is d:\temp.txt. one of the line i specially interested is very
long, more than 1000 characters. I use the following code to read:

capture file close myread
file open myread using d:\temp.txt , read text
file readmyrea line
while r(eof)==0 {
  local linenum = `linenum' + 1
  local myline=`" `macval(line)'"'
  disp length(`"`macval(myline)'"')
  file myrea hexun line

file close hexun

It seems that the maximium length for a string here is only 240.

Is it possible to change it to longer?