st: Missing data in panel analysis

From   ARDE DE <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Missing data in panel analysis
Date   Thu, 7 Mar 2013 18:21:06 +0100

Dear All:

In my panel analysis I have the following problem with missings:

Assume that all individuals are observed throughout all time periods
t_1, t_2, ..., t_T, for a certain set of variables. But a new variable
is added at t_2 (and being answered for t_2, t_3, ..., by all
individuals). Assume that this new variable did not make sense in t_1
(e.g. do you have an iphone asked in 1987...) So, this variable is
missing only for t_1.
How can I deal with that problem?
On the one hand I have missings in my matrix of regressors and cannot
perform the usual inversions etc. On the other hand, it would be
inefficient to drop the entire new variable.

Any hints are highly appreciated.

Kind regards

Arde