Re: st: Multiple Imputation in Longitudinal Multilevel Model

From   Anthony Fulginiti <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Multiple Imputation in Longitudinal Multilevel Model
Date   Wed, 6 Mar 2013 09:47:59 -0800 (PST)

Thank you Jay and Stas for such helpful feedback!

For clarification, the read1-read3 represents data at 3 different time points for an individual. However, that was code from the referenced UCLA document, which I used as a template for my own coding (using the variables in the imputation and xtmixed models below).  In any case, I simplified the model for the post but had followed your suggestions and used a host of variables (known to relate to the outcome variable in the literature) in the imputation model and the xtmixed model.

My imputation model code looked like:

ice bprstot0 isetot0 age0 total_ip_episodes0 length_illness0  minority_dummy0 female_dummy0 bprstot1 isetot1 bprstot2 isetot2 bprstot3 isetot3 bprstot4 isetot4 bprstot5 isetot5 bprstot6 isetot6, saving(imputed_dataset) m(4)

My xtmixed model code is:

xtmixed Self_Esteem c_time c_time2 EthnicityByc_time EthnicityBytime2 bprstot length_illness || id: c_time, covariance(un) variance mle

To your earlier points:

1)I will increase the number of imputations.

2)I did not include time in my imputation model because my understanding was to perform the imputation in wide format rather than the long format (when reshaping from long to wide, the time indicator variable is dropped until I subsequently reshape for the use of the mim command). Perhaps if I follow your suggestions and use the MI feature, I can incorporate time and the quadratic for time since I found that polynomial function is the best fit for the existent data.

*A fundamental issue that I was trying to address is that I know that certain variables, such as symptoms relate to the outcome.  However, I have missing values in several of those relevant independent variables as well as in the outcome variable. My understanding was that the chained equation approach (with ice and then the mim command) would work well when missing values for both independent and dependent variables.

I will further review the MI manual but let me know if you have any additional thoughts or helpful hints on the matter. I appreciate the insight and perspective on such challenging material.

Sincerely, Anthony