RE: st: Midas

From   "Seed, Paul" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   RE: st: Midas
Date   Tue, 5 Mar 2013 18:24:35 +0000

Claudia Denking has had problems with the
user-written command -midas-.

-findit midas- brings up one written by
Ben Dwamena (, Division of Nuclear Medicine,
Department  of Radiology, University of Michigan Health System,
Ann Arbor; designed for meta-analysis of diagnostic tests;
integrating results for both sensitivity and specificity,
without reducing them to a single measure, such as an odds ratio.

. which midas
*! version 2.00 December 21, 2008
*! version 1.00 August 15, 2007
*! Ben A. Dwamena:

When I updated my copy from version 1 to 2, it initially
failed to run properly, but had no problems after I closed
and re-opened Stata.

However, Setor Kunutsor <>
seems to locate a quite different one , via

*! Version 3.03 19May2009 (author: Michael J Bradburn,
Jonathan J Deeks, Douglas G Altman.  Centre for Statistics in Medicine,
University of Oxford, Wolfson College Annexe, Linton Road, Oxford, OX2 6UD, UK)

I think this is really -metan-, another meta-analysis command;
which is not designed for diagnostic tests, but for
treatment effects, measured as odds ratios, differences in the mean etc.

If so, there is a newer version :

. which metan
*! 3.04 21Sep2010

Best wishes,

Paul T Seed, Senior Lecturer in Medical Statistics,
Division of Women's Health, King's College London
Women's Health Academic Centre, King's Health Partners
(+44) (0) 20 7188 3642.