st: Creating weights for direct standardization

From   "Kanter, Rebecca" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Creating weights for direct standardization
Date   Tue, 5 Mar 2013 09:20:33 -0500

Dear list,
I am trying to age-standardize my data (across four different survey time points) based on the direct standardization method (using the first survey year as a base).
I am trying to figure out how to thus create the proper weights for the stdize command.
Is it correct to create these weights based on summing (taking the total) of the survey (svy) weights for each year of age for the first survey year (and then apply them to the other survey years)?
Thank you so much for your help and time; I really appreciate it!
Cheers,
Rebecca

Rebecca M. Kanter, PhD
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Department of International Health
Center for Human Nutrition