st: Converting string variables into date variables in STATA

From   MargaretHeslin <Margaret.Heslin@kcl.ac.uk>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Converting string variables into date variables in STATA
Date   Tue, 5 Mar 2013 04:01:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some help.

I have dates in a string format as follows (dmy):

19.09.02
01.12.09 etc

I have tried using the following command to convert to date format but the
new variable comes up blank. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

DVadmission1 is new new date variable
Admission_date_1_12M is the origianl string date variable

gen DVadmission1 = date(Admission_date_1_12M, "DMY")
format DVadmission1 %td

Many thanks,
Margaret Heslin.