st: Problem with wildcards

From   Lisa Cook <>
Subject   st: Problem with wildcards
Date   Mon, 4 Mar 2013 16:36:28 -0500

I'm having a problem using wildcards. I'm using Stata 11.2 for Windows.

I have a list of variables: psych1 - psych42. I would like to create a
new variable called "anypsych" that takes the value of 0 if all the
variables psych1-psych42 are 0 or missing, and takes the value 1 if
any of psych1-psych42 are 1.

My code:

gen anypsych = 0
replace anypsych = 1 if psych* == 1

I get the error "psych* invalid name".

Can anyone tell me why it's an invalid name and how I can achieve this
objective? I also have a bunch of other variables that I need to do
the same thing for, so advice on how to approach this would be a huge