Re: st: RE: RE: RE: network Stata

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: RE: network Stata
Date   Sat, 2 Mar 2013 16:41:32 +0000

On Mar 2, 2013, at 7:33 AM, Richard wrote:

> On our campus, you install Stata on each machine, but only so many
> copies can be running at once. So, with a setup like that, you can do
> your own updates and install whatever ado files you want.
> If that isn't the case with your setup, or if you don't have write
> privileges on your machine (as is the case with our public labs),
> then you have to harass the tech staff to keep Stata up to date. They
> may not even know that you can do updates. I was using the original
> Stata 12 in a classroom before I got them to update.

At Boston College, we are now using Stata in statistics and econometrics course labs for about 300 students per semester, who access Stata through a Citrix 'apps server'. When they connect to the app server (which they do with the downloaded Citrix Receiver app, which works much better than the web interface) they have a mapping to their "N:" drive, which is a web-accessible filestore that they can mount on any laptop (Win/Mac OS X). The "N" drive is set to be the current working directory for Stata, so any data files, log files, etc. that they create go there. Likewise, if they install anything from SSC or SJ, there is an \ado directory created on the N drive, so they have no problems installing user-written software and accessing it when they next open Stata (as they will again have their N drive linked).

The Stata on the app server is the 64-bit Windows version, for which we have ~90 licenses. Although most of the students have Mac laptops, they do not have any difficulty working with the Windows version of Stata.

                             An Introduction to Stata Programming  |