Re: st: Analysing longitudinal data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Analysing longitudinal data
Date   Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:39:33 +0000

I don't think any programming is needed here at all, just a few
commands issued in a do-file or interactively.

Your first two questions are of the form

{count|average} in moving time interval

and both are addressed in moderate detail within

SJ-7-3  pr0033  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Stata tip 51: Events in intervals
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q3/07   SJ 7(3):440--443                                 (no commands)
        tip for counting or summarizing irregularly spaced
        events in intervals

http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0033

The last has been discussed in various places, but rather than
references here is some sample code.

gen NotWanted = (value < 1) | missing(value)
bysort  ID (NotWanted Date) : gen TimeSinceLast = Date - Date[_n-1] if
!NotWanted

The logic looks a little contrived, but the idea is to get a sort
order that looks like this, so that the time since the
last previous event is just the current date minus the previous date.
For individual, there will be only one such date,
30/04/2011, for which the answer will be 2 days. The answer for the
first will be missing.

 1       1.5     28/04/2011
 1       1.3     30/04/2011
 1       0.6     02/03/2010
 1       0.6     24/05/2010
 1       0.6     16/08/2010
 1       0.6     10/11/2010
 1       0.9     09/02/2011
 1       0.7     01/05/2011
 1       0.6     03/05/2011
 1       0.6     09/05/2011

Once you have values in a variable, -summarize- gives you the mean.

Nick