Re: st: Re: Polychoric PCA error message

From   Yashin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Polychoric PCA error message
Date   Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:25:13 -0500

Thanks for the response. There are no longer zero cells--I was simply
not certain of how to double check that I can now use the 1st
principal component as asset index, given error messages.

Would it be possible to clarify what was meant by non polychoric correlations?

Regards,

Yashin Lin

From	  "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <[email protected]>
To	  [email protected]
Subject	  Re: st: Re: Polychoric PCA error message
Date	  Sat, 23 Feb 2013 00:36:06 -0500

I would recommend looking at the original correlations (non
polychoric) and one and two-way marginal tables. If there is an excess
of zero cells or other pathological patterns, polychoric won't
converge. Sometimes you can fix this up by judicious assumptions such
as adding one to all cells in the table, but this needs to be handled
with serious care. Search the archives, this was discussed recently.

--
ysl