st: DASP - Gini index

From   kobi warszawski <>
Subject   st: DASP - Gini index
Date   Sun, 24 Feb 2013 14:18:19 +0200

Hi Statalist,

I have been using the DASP package to calculate the Gini index with
weights (my data has two columns - income and number of employees
earning that income (as weights).

The Gini index results which I get from STATA are around half the Gini
index which I get when I calculate the Gini index as twice the area
between the Lorenz curve and perfect equality (45 degrees line).

When I calculate the Gini with the covariance formula I get the same
results as when I calculate the areas (Lorenz curve).

Wat am I doing wrong with the DASP package? does anyone know how the
Gini formula in section 13.1 of the DASP manual is developed?

Thank you, Kobi