Re: st: Setting general preferences using syntax

From   ariley@stata.com (Alan Riley)
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Setting general preferences using syntax
Date   Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:35:39 -0600

Mosi Ifatunji (ifatunji@gmail.com) asked about setting preferences
via command line in Stata for Unix:
> I am converting from mostly using Stata on my local machine to using
> Stata mostly on a Unix server. This means that every time I open Stata,
> the general preferences are in the default. I would like to create a .do
> file that I can run when I open Stata on the Unix server that will set
> all of my colors and fonts so that I do not have to do this manually
> each time.
>
> Is there a way to do this? If so, can you point me in the direction of
> the basic syntax for setting these general preferences?

Rich Goldstein (richgold@ix.netcom.com) pointed Mosi to -help profile-
which shows how to cause Stata to execute certain commands every time
Stata is started.  Mosi might also be interested in -help window-
command, in particular, the -help window manage- subcommand.

However, most of the GUI preferences for window size, font, and the like
cannot be set from the command line.  But, Mosi shouldn't have to do
this.  Stata for Unix remembers its preferences between sessions
just like Stata for Windows and Stata for Mac do.  It stores console
preferences separate from X Windows preferences, and it stores X windows
preferences separately for localhost and for each computer on which you
might remotely display an X session.  In Stata 12, the preferences may
be found in subdirectories under the .stata12/ directory in Mosi's
home directory.

Mosi should contact Stata Technical Services at tech-support@stata.com
for help with this issue if the preferences are not being maintained
between sessions.

Alan
ariley@stata.com