re: Re: st: Using -return matrix- to return other rclass matrix results

From   "Lacy,Michael" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   re: Re: st: Using -return matrix- to return other rclass matrix results
Date   Sat, 23 Feb 2013 02:59:34 +0000

daniel klein <> had written:
>I do not fully understand what you are trying to do, but you might be
>overlooking another problem here. You would like to do
>tab ..
>return matrix A1 = r(A)
>tab ...
>return matrix A2 = r(A)
>CallSomeOtherProgram ...,
>and claim this  "won't work, since -return matrix-, as I understand
>it,  doesn't allow the direct assignment of matrices from r()."
>This might be true, but even if you could do the assignment, your code
>would only return matrix A2. Since -tab- is -rclass- (as I understand)
>it will erase any results previously saved in r() -- including A1
>after your second call to -tab-.

Thanks for your ideas here.

My understanding here would  be that since there are two separate
calls to another rclass program, illustrated here by -tab-,
the first return would retrieve the contents of r() as it existed
after the first `tab-, and the second return would capture r()
as it existed after the seond call.  So, I there is not a
 problem here.

>You might also want to have a look into Mata's -st_matrix()- function.
>I am not sure this will help, but it might be worth a shot.

I'll have to thinkf about this one.  Mata certainly is flexible in
its use of the contents of r().

Mike Lacy
Dept. of Sociology
Colorado State University