st: Using Kolmogorov-Smirnov test (ksmirnov)

From   Zachary Neal <>
Subject   st: Using Kolmogorov-Smirnov test (ksmirnov)
Date   Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:36:24 -0500

I would like to determine whether two samples have the same
distribution form, despite having means and variances that are known
(and expected) to be different.  Before performing a
Kolmogorov-Smirnov test, is it necessary to transform the two samples
so they have a common mean? A common variance?  I'm inclined to use
z-scores so that any difference detected by ksmirnov is attributable
to a difference in form, and not to a difference in mean or variance,
but I'm not sure this is right.

Zachary Neal, PhD
Department of Sociology
Michigan State University