Re: st: RE: How to perform a Wald test between the fixed effect...

From   John Antonakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: How to perform a Wald test between the fixed effect...
Date   Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:19:45 +0100

Hi Frank:

See the following, with the basic explanations about the Mundlak procedure:

Antonakis, J., Bendahan, S., Jacquart, P., & Lalive, R. (2010). On making causal claims: A review and recommendations. The Leadership Quarterly, 21(6). 1086-1120. http://www.hec.unil.ch/jantonakis/Causal_Claims.pdf
(refer to the paper by Mundlak for technical explanations)

Try this (suppose you want to test for race):

clear
webuse nlswork
xtset idcode
xtreg ln_w race age , fe r
est store fe

*notice race gets kicked out

bys idcode: egen mean_race = mean(race)

xtreg ln_w race age , re r
est store re

est tab fe re, se t

So, you can have your cake an eat it too. A fixed-effects estimator with time-invariant predictors.

So, basically, if you include the cluster means of all time-varying variables, and assuming that ff is exogenous, then you can interpret the coefficient of ff.

HTH,
J.

John Antonakis
Professor of Organizational Behavior