Re: st: comparing equality of coefficients from two subsamples

From   Rebecca Pope <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: comparing equality of coefficients from two subsamples
Date   Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:49:55 -0600

Jay has given you important advice as it pertains to the group
residual variances.

You are correct that Wooldridge gives an explanation of interaction
terms. He also notes that a fully interacted model (as I assume you
will be estimating since your initial post seemed to suggest that you
expect different coefficients for all covariates for males and
females) assumes group error homogeneity (pg 245 of the 4th ed).
Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any discussion, at least in
that section, of how to address heteroskedasticity between the groups.
I didn't read through the rest of the book.

You might want to take a look at this FAQ by Bill Gould:
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/statistics/pooling-data-and-chow-tests/

And these slides from a talk by Bobby Gutierrez:
http://www.stata.com/meeting/fnasug08/gutierrez.pdf

Only you can see your data and judge whether the constrained variance
model is appropriate or not. I wouldn't just dismiss the issue out of
hand though.

Rebecca