st: -stripplot- revised on SSC

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: -stripplot- revised on SSC
Date   Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:54:23 +0000

Thanks as usual to Kit Baum, files for -stripplot- have been revised
on SSC. If interested, please use -ssc- or -adoupdate- to install, as
appropriate.

I fixed a small bug that I trust only I noticed yielding unwanted
legend entries for a particular combination of options. The major
difference in this update is, however, a sprinkling of extra
references in the rather detailed help file.

-stripplot- is for strip plots or one-way dot plots of univariate
distributions. Different variables and/or groups may be compared by
plotting side by side. Although it did not start out that way,
-stripplot- offers an alternative to the official command -dotplot-,
but it is not syntactically or in content a superset of -dotplot-. I
chose to design and implement many details differently.

-stripplot- requires Stata 8.2 but in accordance with my personal
policy explained at

<http://hsphsun3.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/STATALIST/archives/statalist.1208/date/article-918.html>

the help file is supplied as an .sthlp file, so any Stata 8 or 9 users
would need to convert that to a .hlp file.

Terminology is a small (indeed in some sense a large) problem here.
The common problem of different names for the same thing and the same
name for different things is compounded here by anarchy in the
literature. The help documents these names in use

barcode chart
circle plots
dispersion diagrams
dispersal graphs
dit plots
dot diagrams
dotplots
line charts
line plots
linear plots
number-line plots
one-dimensional scatter plots
oneway plots
one-way graphs
point graphs
strip charts
strip plots
Wilkinson dot plots

and I hope that is not exhaustive and that zealous readers can inform
me, with references ideally, of yet more bizarre names lurking
somewhere. I draw the line at documenting systematically the presence
or absence of spaces or hyphens, however. I am reminded obliquely of
the saying attributed to various scholars that nonsense is always
nonsense, but the history of nonsense is scholarship.