Re: st: Capturing unique actors meeting conditions by focal actor and year (excluding focal actor)

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Capturing unique actors meeting conditions by focal actor and year (excluding focal actor)
Date   Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:34:59 +0000

I don't know about smart, but this seems the same kind of problem.
Change the order of the loops and let the list of colleagues
accumulate from year to year for each actorr.

Have a look at this code

clear
input year project_id actor_id condition
2000 1 1 1
2000 2 1 1
2000 1 2 0
2000 2 2 0
2000 1 3 0
2000 2 3 0
2000 3 4 1
2000 3 5 0
2000 3 6 0
2000 4 7 0
2001 5 1 1
2001 5 2 0
2001 6 2 0
2001 5 3 0
2001 6 3 0
2001 5 4 1
2001 6 4 1
2001 7 5 0
2001 7 6 0
2001 7 7 0
2001 8 8 0

end

egen proj = group(project_id year), label
su proj, meanonly
local nproj = r(max)

egen act = group(actor_id), label
su act, meanonly
local nact = r(max)

egen yr = group(year), label
su yr, meanonly
local nyr = r(max)

gen mywanted2 = 0

* lists of those in each project and year and condition == 0
qui forval p = 1/`nproj' {
levelsof act if proj == `p' & condition == 0, local(who`p')
}

macro list

* now cycle over actors
qui forval a = 1/`nact' {

* blank out workspace
local work

* cycle over years
qui forval y = 1/`nyr' {

* if actor was included, we want to add that list to workspace
forval p = 1/`nproj' {
count if act == `a' & proj == `p' & yr == `y'
if r(N) local work `work' `who`p''
}

* remove duplicates
local work : list uniq work
* remove this actor
local work : list work - a
* see what we got for debugging
noi di "`a' `work'"

replace mywanted2 = `: list sizeof work' if act == `a' & yr == `y'
}
}