Re: st: -set obs- for -tempfile-

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: -set obs- for -tempfile-
Date   Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:51:48 +0000

As you say, there are some misunderstandings here.

-tempfile- itself does no more than set up a temporary _name_ for a
file that you may (or indeed may not) use later in the same program.
It's like booking a table in a restaurant or seats for a performance.

If I do this

. tempfile foo

. di "`foo'"
C:\DOCUME~1\NJCGEO~1.000\LOCALS~1\Temp\ST_0u000001.tmp

. dir  "`foo'"
file not found

Stata has done one (and only one) thing: worked out a name for a file
ahead of its use; at that point the file does not even exist.

So, your problems of understanding are quite different

1. -set obs- will not _reduce_ the number of observations in memory.
This is all part of  Stata's attitude that it won't destroy data as a
side-effect of something else. That's why Stata is complaining; no
files are implied in the complaint.

2. You don't need to -set obs- for a file. Indeed that does not even
have a meaning as -set obs- refers only to the dataset _in memory_. In
order to write 12 observations to a file, write 12 observations to a
file; -set- is not needed and does not even apply directly.

3. It also follows that there is no sense in which -set obs- refers
back to the original file, which remains exactly as it was (unless you
change it, which you would have to do some other way).

There will be a kind of "Yes, of course" when you think it through....

Nick