Re: st: odd simulation results for ICC with binary outcomes

From   Rebecca Pope <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: odd simulation results for ICC with binary outcomes
Date   Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:09:48 -0600

Thanks Austin. With 1,000 reps, I would expect the same general shape
by the CLT, correct? What I would expect to differ would be the mean
around which they converge. With 1,000 reps, we can't reject equality
between the simulated beta-bin & 1/11; with 10,000 we can. The MM
estimator similarly "flip-flops", but the ANOVA doesn't. Just looking
at the graphs, I agree that it is difficult to argue that the plotted
distributions are different (regardless of # of reps chosen); the
lines are nearly indistinguishable from each other. Indicating, I
think, that despite the tests they are probably heading in the same
direction.

I've done some more experimenting with beta distributions that may be
more realistic. The literature indicates that often individuals do not
get recommended care, so I tried some distributions that put more
weight on the lower probabilities of success. It takes 10,000
repetitions to achieve the normal shape from the sample means with the
skewed distributions. Once this happens, all of the modes (and hence
means) look pretty close to the true ICC. The t-tests however indicate
that they haven't converged to the theoretically true value, except
for the ANOVA.

Finally, the beta-bin does even worse with unequally sized groups. The
ANOVA still does just fine. I might be focusing over-much on the
tests, but this seems completely counterintuitive to me. Am I just
misunderstanding how the simulations should work? Or is it time to
just accept that regardless of intuition, the ANOVA is going to do
just fine irrespective of the underlying distribution? The Donner
article seemed to suggest that this is the case, at least for some
non-normal distributions. There are also several references at the end
regarding binomial data that I will try to find.

Thanks also for cleaning up some of the finer points of my code. I
haven't used -simulate- often, but of course -tempvar- is unnecessary
in that context. I didn't think about that. It also (obviously) didn't
occur to me to use -scalar- in place of -local-.

Regards,
Rebecca