Re: st: adding variables to a new data file

From   David Epstein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: adding variables to a new data file
Date   Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:39:40 -0500

The larger problem is that I'm trying to get a lot of variable out of
Stata to Excel. I've posted previously about a bug in the Excel parser
that won't allow you to export to a file that has a macro button, so
that's one issue.

And I've tried to just list the variables I want to export, by
constructing a local macro called varlist. But then I run into Stata's
limit of 244 characters for a string, so I can't do it that way. Oh,
and when I try to export the variables all at one time to the Excel
sheet, I run into a limit on the number of variables that can be
exported at one time, so I have to do it in shifts, which costs me a
lot in export time.

So I've run into a number of frustrations trying to do what should be
a simple task. In general, Stata might make a little more effort to
make it easy for the program to interact with other external programs.