Re: st: Mokken scaling procedure - output

From   Laura Maria Schwirz <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Mokken scaling procedure - output
Date   Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:42:32 +0000

Apologies. I had some trouble sending the email and I thought the
Stata output caused the problem. Here's the output. I am actually just
reading van Schur's article and find it quite helpful.

. msp econ1 trust1 like1 energy1

Scale: 1
----------
Significance level: 0.008333
The two first items selected in the scale 1 are econ1 and trust1 (Hjk=0.7016)
Significance level: 0.006250
The item like1 is selected in the scale 1        Hj=0.5953      H=0.6273
Significance level: 0.005556
The item energy1 is selected in the scale 1      Hj=0.5535      H=0.5882
Significance level: 0.005556
There is no more items remaining.

                                  Observed    Expected
                     Number
                          Mean     Guttman     Guttman    Loevinger
           H0: Hj<=0  of NS
Item          Obs        Score      errors      errors      H coeff
 z-stat.     p-value    Hjk
energy1       3072      0.5949         553     1238.52      0.55350
 56.4588     0.00000      0
like1         3072      0.5278         527     1195.19      0.55907
 58.9920     0.00000      0
econ1         3072      0.5197         351     1003.71      0.65030
 60.3237     0.00000      0
trust1        3072      0.5763         495     1240.05      0.60082
 62.5854     0.00000      0
Scale         3072                     963     2338.74      0.58824
 84.2721     0.00000

On 12 February 2013 15:39, JVerkuilen (Gmail) <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Laura Maria Schwirz <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dear Statalist Users
>>
>> I have a set of variables that look at party leader traits. For
>> example, on a scale from 0 to 5 how well does trait X describe leader
>> Y? I would like to examine whether these traits form a scale or not.
>> Is Mokken scaling procedure the right approach for this and if so,
>> what does the actual output tell me? See below for an example where
>> traits are knows how to manage economy, likeable, energetic,
>> trustworthy.
>
> There's no below to see. ;)
>
> I'm the resident psychometrician. In general I find that Mokken
> scaling is a good approach for many practical scale analyses, but I
> recommend that you read at least a few articles on it. You also should
> do a thorough job of missing data analysis and descriptive statistics,
> including correlations.
>
> Here are citations to the two articles I assign in my IRT course on
> nonparametric IRT:
>
> Meijer, R. R. & Baneke, J. J. (2004). Analyzing psychopathology items:
> a case for nonparametric item response modeling. Psychological
> Methods, 9, 354-368.
> van Schuur, W. (2003). Mokken scaling: between the Guttman scale and
> parametric item response theory. Political Analysis, 11, 139-163.

Laura Schwirz

PhD Candidate and IRCHSS Scholar
Department of Political Science
Trinity College Dublin