st: Q on reg3 output for model fit

From   Jason R Franken <>
Subject   st: Q on reg3 output for model fit
Date   Sun, 10 Feb 2013 00:17:11 -0600 (CST)

I'm running 3SLS using reg3 and get negative R-square (consistent with the explanation at  As I understand, this can happen when the mean of the dependent variable is a better predictor than the model.  However, the p-values of the chi-square statistic are significant.  What if anything can I determine about model fit from the R-square and chi-square statistics in the output of reg3?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

Jason Franken

Jason Franken
Assistant Professor
School of Agriculture