RE: st: Bootstrapping question

From   "Ilian, Henry (ACS)" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Bootstrapping question
Date   Thu, 7 Feb 2013 17:27:30 -0500

Thanks. That's helpful. If there are zero occurrences of a value, doesn't it mean that the scale has one fewer values: instead of a five-point scale, a four-point scale, etc.? Of course, if the value existed in the population, but didn't appear in the sample, than the sample would be off, and how much off it would be would depend on the prevalence of that value in the population, but isn't always a possibility in sampling.

Could you say more about a model for my generating process? I understand models as consisting of explanatory variables and covariates to predict a response variable. That doesn't seem to be the kind of model you mean.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Bootstrapping question

Suppose that your ordinal categories are potentially 1 ... 5 but in
any sample there are zero occurrences of 5. Then no bootstrapped
sample (= sampling with replacement) can ever contain 5 and a
confidence interval cannot include positive outcomes. There is likely
to be a device for this problem, but it suggests to me that you need a
model for your generating process.

Nick

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Ilian, Henry (ACS)
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I looked at the table of contents. The book is clearly worth having, but it doesn't seem to cover the sample-size problem--which actually may not be a problem, since the sample size is what it is, and there isn't a way to make it any larger. By improved, I meant narrower, although that's such an obvious answer I don't think it was what you were asking me. If bootstrapping won't result in narrower confidence intervals, then I'll have to live with the confidence intervals as they are.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail communication, and any attachments, contains confidential and privileged information for the exclusive use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by replying to this message and delete this communication from your computer. Thank you.