RE: re: st: Package -r2c- now available in SSC

From   Simon Falck <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: re: st: Package -r2c- now available in SSC
Date   Tue, 5 Feb 2013 17:38:26 +0000

The -r2c- package is only available for users of Stata 12.x.

I would be great if this interesting package will be made accessible to users of previous Stata versions (I am a user of Stata 11.2). To the wish list.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Ariel Linden, DrPH
Sent: den 5 februari 2013 17:00
To: [email protected]
Subject: re: re: st: Package -r2c- now available in SSC

That is very helpful information, Joe... thanks!

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 08:06:49 -0500
From: Joseph Luchman <[email protected]>
Subject: re: st: Package -r2c- now available in SSC

Hi Ariel,

  Certainly.  To my understanding, -countfit- is mainly helpful for selecting a count model and uses the information criteria and predicted probabilities to do so.

  I see the -r2c- as useful mainly for explanatory purposes following model selection and estimation and, although there is a statistic reported for negative binomial models (i.e., the DP r-square) that is intended to compare models, -r2c- is not intended for model selection purposes (though it can be used for that purpose if the analyst desires).

  The indexes reported are all r-squares (of different flavors, though several lack properties such as "boundedness" between 0-1, that an r-square should possess) the recommended statistic, the deviance r-square is based on the model log likelihood and so it uses the same information as the AIC and BIC reported in -countfit-.  For what it's worth, the -r2c- also incorporates probability weights, an exposure/offset (both in the main count model, and the inflate model for zero-inflated models), and incorporates more of Stata's built-in count models (truncated counts, generalized negative binomial).

- - joe