st: Poisson age adjusted mortality rates

From   Jose Francisco Lopez <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Poisson age adjusted mortality rates
Date   Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:00:25 -0300

Im trying to model mortality rates due to bladder cancer using a Poisson model.
I have all deaths and population data from 1982 to 2010, arranged by
sex and age group (5 groups).

Ive tried:
poisson deaths year sex age1 age2 age3 age4, exposure(population)
predict p_deaths
collapse (sum) deaths p_deaths population, by(year)
gen rate=deaths/population*100000
gen p_rate=p_deaths/population*100000
twoway (scatter rate year) (line p_rate year)

This way i get, what i think, are age and sex adjusted mortality
rates. However when I compare this rates with those obtained using a
direct or indirect standarization, are quiet different.

- Is this model right?
- Is suitable to use a mixed effect model (xtmepoisson) due to
multiple levels of my data i.e. xtmepoisson deaths year sex age1 age2
age3 age4, exposure(population) || sex: || age: ?

Francisco Lopez, MD