[no subject]

A zero cell means that the underlying two normal variables have a
correlation of 1 -- or at least that's the maximum likelihood
estimate. Visually, the normal distribution is degenerately
concentrated on a line that passes outside of zero. With a correlation
of 1, ML estimation breaks down: the maximizer runs out of the sample
space, and produces missing values for negative definite matrices that
have correlations > 1; and if a solution is claimed to exist, it can
not stable, as we work with poorly defined matrices that are unstable
to invert (in the sense of finite accuracy arithmetics). In your
example, not only you have zero cells that make estimation of the
correlations difficult; the small marginal proportions will not make
-polychoric- very happy, either.

Vika Savalei wrote about the existing tweaks
(http://www.mat.ulaval.ca/fileadmin/Cours/STT-7620/Savalei11.pdf), but
I don't have anything implemented in the code.