Re: st: Explanatories that vary only over time in panel data

From   Aljar Meesters <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Explanatories that vary only over time in panel data
Date   Wed, 30 Jan 2013 18:17:01 +0100

Estimating a panel regression model where variable(s) do not vary over
individuals is possible, as long as they vary over time. The same
holds for adding a time trend to your model. Of course, the
variable(s) that you want to add should not be collinear with the time
trend.
I do not completely understand what you mean with: "If we just repeat
the price entries for all i districts in our input data we assume that
Stata will think that there are in fact multiple observations. So the
standard errors can not be correct.".
You have these multiple observations per district, so, why should the
standard errors not be correct? Maybe what worries you is your
assumption that all prices are equal between all districts. I do not
know if such an assumption is justified. You can take the average Y
over districts and regress Y_t = a + b*X_t + c*t instead.
Best,

Aljar