st: Fwd: Constructing Household IDs

From   Andrea Smurra <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Fwd: Constructing Household IDs
Date   Wed, 30 Jan 2013 13:27:01 +0630

Hello Statalists,
I am working with an household survey which doesn't have household IDs.
Each household is identified by a series of variables (State, district, township, ..., household number). Within each state, the numbering of districts always starts from the integer 1, the same for towns within each district and so on up to the household in each ward. I tried to build unique HH identifier with the command "group", but I'd like to build a HH ID which looks like SSSDDDTTT...HHH where SSS is the state identifier (with the correct number of zeros appended when necessary (i don't know how to do it)), DDD is the District identifier and so on. I'm using STATA 12 for windows 7. I'm sure it will be an easy task for an expert statalist, but I am still a beginner.
Thanks
Andrea