Re: st: Wishlist for Stata 13

Subject   Re: st: Wishlist for Stata 13
Date   Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:22:45 -0500

If it isn't a horrendous security risk, I would like to see Stata support redirection when using files from the web. For some reason Notre Dame decided we would all be much happier if our web pages started with www3 instead of www. It doesn't seem to matter with browsers -- if you type in www.whatever you get redirected to www3.whatever -- but with Stata you get messages like this:

. use http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/gologit2/lall, clear
file http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/gologit2/lall.dta not found
server says file permanently redirected to http://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam/gologit2/lall.dta
r(601);

This is screwing up examples in dozens of my handouts and do files.

I suppose the fear is that you'll get redirected to some rogue site -- but it isn't that unusual to have www3 instead of www, is it?

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam