Re: st: stset

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: stset
Date   Tue, 29 Jan 2013 20:14:10 +0000

Thanks for this, but I am still puzzled over what exactly you are seeking.

-stset- can be used in various ways, but they all centre on there
being a single time variable. So, if "wide format" means that time for
each subject is recorded, directly or indirectly, in several
variables, then you need a different data structure before you can
apply -st- commands.

I suggest that you look again at the Statalist FAQ, Questions are
easiest to answer when they include precise descriptions of the
dataset, precise commands that you used and precise results that Stata
gave in response.

Nick

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Neophytos Stylianou

> I think you misunderstood me.
>
> I was just wondering if the stset works on both data formats, wide or long, since i did not know in which format my data was in..
>
> I just wanted to know that i am doing the right thing since i am new to survival data.
>
> Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Nick Cox [[email protected]]

> Manifestly I don't have any information that you have not given us.
> You told us that you had a "wide format" which I understand you to
> mean that you have several time variables and several survival
> variables. If that's wrong and -stset- works, then good, but I am left
> wondering why you posted and why you described your data in the way
> you did.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Neophytos Stylianou

>> By saying that it won't work do you mean? that the stset command would give me an error?
>> Because I am doing it and it does set the data.
>>
>> In my dataset I have admission as well as discharge/death date per observation
>>
>> In Statas manual the stset takes the form of:
>> stset failuretime, failure(mortality==1) id(id) enter =(admissiontime)
>>
>> so why it would not work if my dataset as I showed an example earlier has unique observations that have the admission date as well as the discharge/death date?

Nick Cox

>> No; that won't work. You don't have a single time variable or survival variable. What makes you think that compatible with -stset-?
>>
>> You need to -reshape- your data.

 On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Neophytos Stylianou