RE: st: QUAIDS

From   Murat Genc <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: QUAIDS
Date   Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:12:41 +0000

Dear Nigussie,

I have never seen a suggestion that left hand size variables (the budget share) should be multiplied by CDF.

You may want to have a look at Lambert at al. (2006) "Fish and Meat Demand in Canada: Regional Differences and Weak Separability", Agribusiness Vol 22 (2) 175-199 for a good application of Quaids with Shonkwiler and Yen correction.  A more recent application is Ecker and Qaim (2011) "Analyzing nutritional impacts of Policies: An empirical study for Malawi," World Development Vol 39 (3) 412-428.

Murat

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of nigussie Tefera
Sent: Wednesday, 30 January 2013 12:33 a.m.
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: QUAIDS

Dear Musyoka,

Both both the righ and left hand size variables should have to be multiply with CDF.  In fact, the PDF variables should also be added to both right and left hand side variables. In the left hand side we would expect equation like this "wi*CDFi + hiPFDi" instead of only "wi", where wi the budget share of commodity i. The CDFi and PDFi is expected to be derived from multivariate probit analysis following suggestion of Yen, Lin, and Smallwood (2003).

Because of such complexity, it is difficult for me to estimate Quaids agumented for zero consumption expeniture with CDF and PDF. I badly need suggestions from STATA userlist, partiuclary who have experienced and solved such problem. I am using Ethiopian Rural Household Survey (ERHS) panel data. Zero consumption expenditure is very server for the ten food groups I considerd for demand analysis. These include teff, barely, wheat, maize, sorghum, pluses, root crops, fruits & vegetables, animal products and other food. The first five items are the major cereals and staples in Ethiopian dish.

Best

Nigussie