RE: st: how to send an email via Stata Command

From   "William Buchanan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: how to send an email via Stata Command
Date   Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:08:54 -0800

Although I've yet to try it, I've seen several good reviews for blat
(http://www.blat.net/) on the web.  Maybe Jeph could comment on whether
-bmail- will run on a 64-bit machine?  With MAC it was much easier, but this
is something that I am also interested in since it would speed up a ton of
work that I have to do regularly as well.

HTH,
Billy

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Jeph Herrin
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 11:49 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: how to send an email via Stata Command

Since you refer to D:\temp.txt, I assume you are using some version of
Windows. In that case (ie, if you are not using some version of *nix) you'll
need to either:

  a) Download and install a command line mail send utility; I use
     one called -bmail- which works pretty well. You will however need
     an SMTP server, which I think Outlook Express should require.

  b) Script it in PowerShell, which is a Microsoft command line
     environment. However, it will require much more effort, and I
     do not recommend it.

hth,
Jeph