Re: st: RE: Unordered Categorical Predictor Variable

From   louis grandjean <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Unordered Categorical Predictor Variable
Date   Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:09:24 -0500

Many many thanks for all your help so far.  I do still remain a little
confused however.

Elan's post estimation command test, tests one level against another
(perhaps it's possible to also use it to test one level against the
rest).

While Richard's idea if I'm interpreting it correctly does compare one
level to all the others but the regression needs to be repeated each
time to do it so the coefficients on the other predictor variables in
the model will change (albeit only slightly).

The biological question is: Is one bacterial species more
transmissible when compared to all the other species.  If that helps.
Deviation coding compares one species to the mean of everything
(including itself).

Perhaps there is a very simple explanation I've overlooked, or perhaps
I need to look harder at what's already been said - apologies if this
is the case.