Re: st: extracting of data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: extracting of data
Date   Mon, 21 Jan 2013 18:30:59 +0000

You are resurrecting a thread from January 1, but your code raises
questions very similar to those in a thread you started today,
principally that

1. The logic of your loop is hard to follow.

2. Using -capture- prevents you (and us) from seeing error messages
that might be informative.

As I understand it, you have 9 files for levels 1...9 and within your loop you

         infile using D:\TEAM_PC\level`l'\level`l'.dct, clear
         capture append using `mydata'
         save `mydata', replace
         keep if level==`l'
         save "D:\TEAM_PC\level`l'_list.dta", replace

However, whatever the -append- and -save- do is cancelled out by the
-keep-, so you might as well go

         infile using D:\TEAM_PC\level`l'\level`l'.dct, clear
         save "D:\TEAM_PC\level`l'_list.dta"

So that will give you 9 files and you can -append- them in one
command; no loop is needed. See the on-line help for -append-

http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?append

(If your Stata version does not support this multiple file syntax,
then as advised in the FAQ you should be telling us what version you
have.)

I can't tell you what is going on with your `mydata'. As Daniel
pointed out earlier today, it is unclear why you are using a temporary
file here, but that's another detail.

Nick