Re: st: Nonlinear regression syntax

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Nonlinear regression syntax
Date   Sat, 19 Jan 2013 13:19:16 +0000

You have

{rg*(1+exp(-gamma*(moveave-ci)))^-1}

That will make no sense to -nl-. The most basic syntax for braces { }
is that braces must enclose parameter names only. There are other
possibilities but they do not cover your syntax.

{rg}*(1+exp(-gamma*(moveave-ci)))^-1

would make sense if and only if the names

gamma
moveave
ci

are names of variables (or possibly names of known scalars).

You need to tell us what your model is, distinguishing variables,
known scalars if any and parameters to be estimated.

Nick

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM, David Ashcraft
<[email protected]> wrote:

> rg, algebraic expression and gfc are parameters to be estimated and that's why I used braces {}. gamma and ci are constants. in the first line: rg and moveave are variables where moveave is the quarterly moving average of rg.
>
> You mentioned that a brace is omitted. I do not see the omitted brace. Can you please point out the missing brace in the following?
>
> nl (rx={rg}+{rg*(1+exp(-gamma*(moveave-ci)))^-1}+{gfc})

Nick Cox <[email protected]>